If you’re considering surrogacy, you may be wondering whether to go through a surrogacy agency or pursue independent surrogacy. Both options have their pros and cons. In this article, we’ll explore the differences between the two and help you decide which path is right for you. For more information on surrogacy, check out Great Beginnings Surrogacy Services.
Table of Contents
What is a Surrogacy Agency?
A surrogacy agency is a company that provides a range of services to intended parents and surrogates. These services can include matching intended parents with surrogates, managing the legal and medical aspects of the surrogacy process, and providing emotional support throughout the journey.
Pros of Surrogacy Agencies
- Expertise: Surrogacy agencies have a team of professionals who are experienced in all aspects of the surrogacy process. This can give intended parents peace of mind, knowing that they are in good hands.
- Matching: Surrogacy agencies have a database of potential surrogates, making it easier to find a good match. They also have a thorough screening process, which can help ensure that the surrogate is a good candidate.
- Legal and Medical Support: Surrogacy agencies typically have lawyers and medical professionals on staff who can guide intended parents through the legal and medical aspects of surrogacy.
Cons of Surrogacy Agencies
- Cost: Surrogacy agencies can be expensive, with fees that can range from $20,000 to $50,000 or more.
- Less Control: Intended parents may have less control over the process when working with a surrogacy agency. They may need to follow the agency’s guidelines and procedures.
- Less Personalized: Working with a surrogacy agency can feel less personal than pursuing independent surrogacy. Intended parents may feel like they are just one of many clients.
What is Independent Surrogacy?
Independent surrogacy is when intended parents and surrogates find each other without the help of a surrogacy agency. This can involve using online forums, social media, or personal connections to find a match.
Pros of Independent Surrogacy
- Cost: Independent surrogacy can be less expensive than going through a surrogacy agency, as there are no agency fees to pay.
- More Control: Intended parents may have more control over the surrogacy process when pursuing independent surrogacy. They can work directly with the surrogate to establish guidelines and procedures.
- More Personalized: Independent surrogacy can feel more personal than going through a surrogacy agency, as intended parents and surrogates work together directly.
Cons of Independent Surrogacy
- Legal and Medical Support: Intended parents may need to find their own legal and medical support when pursuing independent surrogacy, which can be challenging and time-consuming.
- Risk: Going through independent surrogacy can be riskier than going through a surrogacy agency, as intended parents and surrogates may not have access to the same level of screening and support.
- Matching: Finding a good match can be more difficult when pursuing independent surrogacy, as intended parents and surrogates need to find each other on their own.
Deciding between surrogacy agency and independent surrogacy can be a difficult decision. Both options have their pros and cons. If you value expertise, matching support, and emotional support, surrogacy agency may be the best choice for you. If you want more control over the process, a more personalized experience, and lower costs, independent surrogacy may be a better fit. Ultimately, the choice is up to you and what you feel comfortable with.